Saturday, December 6, 2008

We went and cut down our Christmas tree last night.

I love Christmas, but hate how hectic it appears. It seems every year I gain a better appreciation for Christmas. The other thing I've noted is that more of my Dad's habits around Christmas, have become my habits. He always went to cut down a tree at the local Christmas tree farm. So do we. Ours is a much more commercial enterprise, but it is still fun. The kids ride in the back of my truck. We were in a bit of a hurry, but we picked out a tree in no time. Thankfully the ground was dry. I cut it down, and have to get it standing. That is the worst part of Christmas I think. Stupid stands are designed not to last or to work. Beth gets to do all the rest of the indoor endeavors. Just like my dad, we string up only blue lights. They appear peaceful and serene to me. I need that at this time of the year. It so saddens me that so many people are having a hard time now. I think I'll start volunteering at the Homeless Men's shelter in my old district. After we got our tree we went to Zoo Lights with my friend Brian and his family. We had a great time, although it appeared that Beth and Jessie (Brian's wife) were more busy playing sheep herders on the kids than anything else. It was not too crowded. It was also cold. I should have dressed more warmly. Brian and I wandered behind the crowd. He is a good guy. Because he is quiet people often misinterpret him as being aloof. Not so. Pr

No comments: